Thursday, August 20, 2009

How I got to this place in my life...



Once upon a time I was a jockette - when I wasn't playing sports I was watching sports. It didn't hurt to grow up with 4 hyper-competitive brothers and my one sister. I was even named Most Athletic Female in my Senior Class in High School. I was fearsome when I competed, and just a little TOO competitive. (or so I'm told). Then the knees start to hurt and a few surgeries later you don't participate anymore. Heck, I don't even watch much anymore, except a little college volleyball, football, & track. You can see me in the red uniform in the photo.  Don't you just love those uniforms?  NOT!

In my mid-40's I started competing in racing and lure coursing with my whippets, where I often found myself huffing and puffing to and from the track. No fun and just a tad embarrassing. But I love it, so something had to give.
In January 2009 I started thinking about thinking about getting healthy. I had good friends running half marathons and doing triathlons. It exhausts me just to think about getting in that kind of shape - but deep down knew I could if I just put my mind, and competitive nature, to the task.

Well...I have 6 months to get in shape before my 50th Birthday, and I have taken some bold steps to get there. I bought myself an iron bra and some fancy schmancy new running shoes, and most exciting of all signed up for my first 5k race at the end of September.

Wish me luck - my goal is to run a 1/2 marathon by that birthday in February 2010.

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck! I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear sports bras work a lot better than iron bras (big grin). Good luck. I'm trying to get back into running after ...well, not stopping. I have sustained several injuries that are just nagging. Probably not healing because I have never stopped running, but I am only running three times a week, right now. Think I'm addicted? Perhaps your enthusiasm will help motivate me.

    ReplyDelete