Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Déjà Vu all over again...

When I woke up this morning my left knee was very sore, swollen, and weak.  All I have done in the last few days is walk.  It started to hurt on my runs over the weekend so I ended up walking most of it anyway.  It is now both the knee cap and the cartilage. I had two surgeries on both back in the early 90's.  The Doc told me at the time the cartilage was disintegrating and I would eventually need a knee replacement. They even loosened and re-positioned muscle & tendon where they attach to the outside of the knee in order for the knee cap to track properly.  They call that maneuver a "lateral release".  The last few years it has felt much better, so I thought maybe I could run and be OK.  This could be a huge set back for me.  I should lay off and not work out...but the big event is looming.  I may have to take a serious look at my goals and decide what I really want, and what I can do physically.  It may not be possible to run the half in May, but I haven't given up all hope of making it happen.  It is just exceedingly disappointing. 

If you look at my knees in this photo you can see why it is no wonder I am having trouble at my age!

No comments:

Post a Comment