Saturday, November 28, 2009

Runner Girl stared Black Friday right in the eyes...

And Black Friday blinked!!  That could be just a bit of an exaggeration, but I did what I had to do.  It never occured to me when I decided to walk the half at the Seattle Marathon on November 29th, that packet pickup was on Black Friday..only a few blocks from Macy's and Nordstrom in downtown Seattle.  Anyone that knows me would tell you I have no directional skills.  I get lost going to places I have been to before, and really hate cities because I lose my way quite easily.  And this time I was doing it alone - a fairly scary thought for me.  I knew it would be nuts to drive my car since I would probably end up in the middle of the parade, so it was public transit time.  One thing in my favor is that you can get out in the transit tunnel, go up the stairs, and walk right into Macys.  But this was the day after Thanksgiving and the place was MOBBED!  I had the directions in my head on how to get those few little blocks from there to the Westin Hotel, but once in the store I got completely turned around - of course I had to check out handbags and jewelry.  The exits all tell you which street they lead out to, but that pesky little directional issue reared it's ugly head...do I go out on 3rd? Onto Pine?  Maybe 6th?  I chose one and stepped out into the end of the danged parade!!!!  Cheerleaders, band kids, and beaming parents everywhere.  I got around them, remembered to turn left at the next corner and hallelujah there was the Westin!  Lucky for me they are round towers and hard to miss. 

But I still had to get back to the transit tunnel to catch the bus back across Lake Washington to the East side.  Easier said than done.  I came out on the wrong side of the Hotel so had to make a few tentative choices, and finally found my way back.  Yay for me!  I sat... and waited for my bus...but for some unknown reason failed to get on when it arrived and then left.  What a dunderhead.  It did give me lots of time to people watch and check out the new light rail trains as they came and went...came and went...Finally my bus arrived, again, and my adventure was over. 

Sad thing is I don't get to walk tomorrow due to the torn catilage in my knee, but I was going to pick up my packet because I wanted that shirt!  I paid my money and I wanted it!!! There are no refunds in running events. I picked up Maureen's goodie bag too, so will get that to her eventually.

I wish I had my camera with me (left it at my Parent's on Thanksgiving) because it was a gorgeous day in Seattle.  The sun was shining, just a few fluffy clouds hanging out in the sky, and just the perfect temperature.  All in all it was a pretty grand day.  Take that Black Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment